Friday, March 20, 2020

The Show Must Go On (Part 2)

Over the next few weeks, I'll share some of my thoughts on the dances you may never see. The thoughts won't necessarily be pretty. The part of choreography that I love is that I read, read, read, and let the information sort itself out. Putting pen to paper is a whole other animal. 

I Love Structure
Because my background is somatics, postmodern techniques, and site-specific improvisation, creating structure is imperative in my work. It's a way to contain the many ideas and set them free. It's nuance: detail and spontaneity in one. I have several concepts and nudge them into order, creating intros and outros, and allowing exciting mixtures to happen in the moment. 

Here's the way I tackled "Navigating the Firing Field"
I kept this file open during rehearsals and amended as necessary. 
Sometimes my process is writing on paper, but many times... It's excel. 

No comments:

Post a Comment