Thursday, January 30, 2014

My first dance-making experience in D.C.

Trying to break into a new scene is always hard and beyond that, scary as heck.  All of those little doubts in the back of your head start cropping up and you have to squash them like the dancing diva you are because you didn't work like a dog and succeed over these past many years for nothing, right?

So with that, I am so nervous and excited to venture out into D.C. proper for my next project with the Telephone Dance Project.  I am forever grateful to these ladies for pulling me in to this collaboration made up of dancers who are trying to make it in new cities.  They have given me an outlet for creativity, an excuse to make something, a way to make it that doesn't exist in it's own "Katie" bubble, and camaraderie.  Because a big part of our project is to host the created dances in our own cities, they've collectively forced me to pull a show out of my butt.

Well, here it is, and I'm getting pretty excited about how it's all going to shake out.  It's going to be one part teaching/learning, one part experiencing/practicing, and one part showing/reveling.  And true to the spirit of broke-ass dancer-ness, it's nearly all free or pay-what-you-can.

But here's the kicker:  if you're a dancer, and you come, you can say you've danced at the NATIONAL PORTRAIT GALLERY as a guest dancer for TDP!  Is that worth a Megabus ticket or what?

Read all about the details here: TelephoneDanceProject.blogspot.com
and I do hope you'll join me!

Barbara, Eliza, Rachel, and Katie make up TDP

No comments:

Post a Comment