Friday, February 7, 2014

Are You A Dancer Moving To A New City?

I know something about starting over as a dancer in a new city.  I got my dance degree in Iowa, joined my first dance company in Minnesota, got my Masters and joined my second company in Milwaukee, moved for my husband's job to Florida, moved for the job marked to Illinois, and have finally settled in Washington D.C.  Each time I've had to make my name ALL OVER AGAIN in a new city.  It's humbling and it always takes longer than you think it should.

Recently, I joined 4dancers.org as a contributing writer and guess what my first post is...
You've got it!  Tips for dancers on the move!

"Now it’s time to pull up your big-girl/boy tights, put on your game-face, and be really, really patient all over again.  Since it’s still considered gauche to have your resume printed on your leotard, here are some things I’ve learned along the way that will help you to hop into your new city’s dance scene as fast as possible"


See what I have to say about cornering teachers after class in order to network, what to put on your website (get one!), and how to survive the long wait between moving and your first dancing gig.
And you know if I'm writing about it, I've done it 8 times and screwed it up 7 of those times.

Thanks for reading, and share with all of those dancers you know that are on the move, forced to move, or just need a change of scenery.  I've got them covered!


No comments:

Post a Comment