Sunday, December 9, 2012

Double Dance Show Weekend

My single dance date turned into a double dance date! My husband and I met my dancer friend Kelly Anderson at Kate Corby's show "Passing" at Links Hall this past Saturday. We had a chance to chat with Kristina Fluty about life and school and Kate, herself, about the dance scene in Chicago. Then I scored a cheap-seat at Hubbard Street's Show "Transcendent" today at the Harris Theater to see Mats Ek's premier Casi-Casa.

Kate's show, about life and death, was made more full in the intimacy of Links hall by the ambient sounds from the passing trains and party-goers on the busy Saturday night.  It was only a welcome intrusion because the casual nature of the choreography.  Dressed in street-clothes and alternately tossing themselves about or lightly placing their gestures about the space, we felt as if the cycle of life and death wasn't too heavy or heady of a topic but something that just happens or slowly floods into one's experience.

The highlight of Kate's show was definitely the duet between Josh Anderson and Michelle Scurlock. Vacillating between linear movement phrases and repetitive gesture we get a glimpse into a relationship that is complicated, a little competitive and often hilarious in the most understated way.  This understated hilarity is mostly in thanks to Michelle Scurlock's deft looks at Josh which manage to be just at the right moments and neither too subtle or too imposing.  She also has the fastest arms in Chicago.

My dance weekend then went from 10's of seats to 100's of seats with my trip to the Harris.  I've been dying to see more European choreographers.  It's not often that I get to see their work live (money, proximity, etc.) so I was so excited to see this show.  Although Canadian Aszure Barton's piece "Untouched" was a dramatic hit, the highlight of the show was certainly Swedish choreographer Mats Ek's piece Casi-Casa.  Finally a break from the relentless ballet vocabulary!  It was full of emotion without beating you over the head with it.  The emotion came from the pedestrian movement, the spare household objects that had a life of their own and the little bursts of sound and often incomprehensible words from the dancers.  I bumped into Dr. Green and his wife from Columbia College afterwards and they were discussing how the Ek piece had a taste of Pina and a clear influence from Ek's time spent working with Nederlands.  I could go on, but I want it to settle first.  I'm sure I'll have dreams tonight of roll-stepping pedestrians, militant housewives, and complicit furniture.

No comments:

Post a Comment