Monday, December 10, 2012

All Work and No Dance Makes Katie a B**ch

Today I'm grumbling because Mordine and Co. is on break so I'm not dancing as regularly.  I usually get my butt into Visceral Dance Center (Lou Conte is good too, but they have only SCAAAAARY pro-ballet in the morning whereas Visceral's adv/pro ballet isn't so scary.) but this is the end of the semester at UW-Milwaukee, where I teach, and I have a crap-load of grading to do.  Then my receptionist gig at The Dance Center of Columbia College  in the evenings to pay the rent.

Working there is great because I get a free ticket to their Presenting Series and therefore get to see even more dance on my limited budget.  Plus, when I'm reception-ing, I can use all the rollers they have scattered about the building.

But at this point with a whole 5 days between me and my last dance class, I'm only bitching about work, so let me get back to it.  For those of you who don't have the dance-addiction it's like this: you know when you haven't eaten in a while and you're like "no one talk to me until I shove this cookie in my mouth or I'll bite your head off"?  Well, it's similar with dancing.  I'm going to be grumpy until my next class.  And no, the yoga-home-practice and pirouettes I did in my living room didn't help at all.  They just pissed off my downstairs neighbor and made my husband laugh at me while we watched the Bears lose to the Vikings.

So I'm off to read all of my students Movement Analysis papers (at least it's about dance) and try to pry my brain away from the internet so I will actually finish instead of looking up PhD programs and interesting choreography.  CONCENTRATE!  Maybe I need to unplug my internet...

No comments:

Post a Comment